5/11 (Tues) - Pre-Preakness Stakes Race Comments:
- Wow! It's already bad enough that we had to deal with a major Kentucky Derby controversy last year involving Maximum Security. Now, make that two controversies in a row. This time, it involves the Derby winner Medina Spirit. It turns out that Medina Spirit failed a drug test and tested positive with a substance called betamethasone. Apparently, the veterinarian revealed that he or she applied it to Medina Spirit who developed dermatitis on his hind end. Churchill Downs key officials are looking deep into the matter, and they may disqualify Medina Spirit if the second drug split-test turns out to be positive. It may take a while to get the results.
- If the test confirms to be positive, it could jeopardize the horse racing industry in some way. Bottom line, it's such a BIG mess that horse race bettors shouldn't have to deal with. Horse bettor's monies are on the line and some of them would clearly get shafted one way or another. It especially involves those bettors who played Medina Spirit, Mandaloun (who finished second), or both horses in their various types of bets.
- It even impacts me! I got first and third for the exacta. I also had Mandaloun with Hot Rod Charlie. So, if Medina gets disqualified, I would have won this exacta. Oh well. Wasn't meant to be :-( I will just have to live with the double and pick-3 bets that I won on. Two out of three ain't bad, I guess!
- I was on the right track to predict that the Derby race could be a similar race to Spend A Buck race back in 1985! The only difference was....instead of Rock Your World that was supposed to go wire-to-wire, it was Medina Spirit that led every step of the way! How crazy is that?!!! Interestingly, Rock Your World beat Medina Spirit by 4 lengths in the previous race. That's a lot of lengths to win by! Tables got turned this time, I guess. Medina Spirit's better post position also had something to do with it; not too far inside and not too far outside. It seems that Baffert knows how to pull it off each time one way or another! Winning the Derby seven times is quite a feat and tough to beat! Maybe he'll make it even tougher to win another one in the future. Plus he won two Triple Crowns! Kudos to Baffert!
- My predictions weren't too far off....considering that neither Rock Your World not Highly Motivated did nothing :-( I did have Hot Rod Charlie and Essential Quality as part of my top picks who finished 3rd and 4th respectively. I did have Medina Spirit and Mandaloun in my middle-horse selection.
- In some ways, I was disappointed by the race. It's sad when the key horses didn't show off their talents as in the past and got bumped or whatever the reasons may be. I did predict that O Besos is an improving horse, and he finished in fifth place at 41-1 odds. In his previous race, he came in third against Hot Rod Charlie and Midnight Bourbon. Speaking of Midnight Bourbon, I was disappointed he finished fifth. Overall, MB is a very good horse too.
- I hit Oaks-Derby double and Oaks-Turf Classic-Derby pick-3 for myself. I got first and third and lost my exacta bet. I almost had 50-cent pick-3 bet for races 11-12-13. Horse #9 beat me out at 13-1 odds.
5/1 (Sat) - Post-Kentucky Oaks Comments:
4/10 (Sat @ 10:00 a.m.) -- Analysis:
- Let your friends know about KRISRACING.COM
- Make this website a favorite on your iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc. Then, you'll have EASY access to lots of horse racing information :-)